Sunday, January 25, 2009

One Month Ago

Just 30 days past we had this:



And then we flew to Omaha where I was pleasantly surprised to see this:




No snow on the highway...who knew? And (almost) clear skies, whoa, I didn't expect that for the four days we were there.

Still some snow in the country, though, to remind me of home:



I took knitting for the plane. Since 9/11 I am always wary about flying with needles, and in the past have been careful to bring a stamped self addressed envelope in case the unthinkable happens. Lately I've been on a pretty good run, and now just brazenly show my knitted work-in-progress in a clear zip bag as I breeze through the X-ray line up. Really and truly, I think it depends a lot on who I have looking at my stuff and what kind of a day it's been. Admittedly, I only take a project on flight that is small and what I consider expendable (needles included). Like a hat made of scraps...



Brooklyn Tweed's Turn a Square (free ravelry download) was a good one for using up short bits and pieces of beloved yarns too nice to toss. I keep every yard of Noro leftovers, it's pretty well a basic need for me. Most of these stripes are Kureyon or Silk Garden betwixt some old blue worsted I received many years ago from Whale Cove Knitters on Grand Manan Island, NB.

On the plane I was also quite entranced with Interweave Knit's 2008 Holiday Gift Knitting mag. The Ribby Slipper Socks kept calling to me and begged to be knit up (who can resist BSA bulky calling out one's name?) so who was I to argue. Justified two skeins of it with using scraps of Mission Falls 1824 for the cuffs. A welcome present for Daniel whose feet needed something warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment