Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Frontward Cabled Pullover

I was most pleased to receive Wendy Bernard's Custom Knits for Christmas! I had already perused a library copy and made my plan before the holidays. So shortly into the New Year it was easy peasy when I cast on the "Backward Cabled Pullover" with my Jo Sharp Silkroad dk Tweed hankering to be used. The designer gives lots of great tips on how to customize each pattern to make it one's own. When I made this sweater, I used the option of placing the scoop neck in the front, and making the sleeves three-quarter length so I could use up more of this luxe yarn.

I fussed around a bit with numbers to get the right fit.

I had made my swatch in the round, and washed it too. My gauge off the swatch was 19 stitches/10 cm. Pattern calls for 20 sts. I thought I would make the smallest size (chest 32 ") and that my gauge might compensate with a fit with just a bit of negative ease. Gauge off the top of the sweater where it's knit flat was about 18 sts, and then when I started knitting in the round it went up to 20 sts, as it should, because I'm knitting every stitch where the fabric is generally tighter rather than alternate rows of knit and purl. Plus, did I mention I was using smaller needles to get gauge( 4.5 mm)? Honestly then, the gauge did not compensate enough, but by then I was hoping the silk component (10%) in the yarn would add a bit of stretch to the garment to give me more room. Overall, there were too many variables for my liking, but I think it all worked.



In any case, I'm happy with the fit, and the knitted fabric is very warm, and softened up even more after a good SOAK.
My first sweater of 2009!

2 comments:

  1. I love your sweater! I started knitting it yesterday and then realized I couldn't go on due to the short rows. I've never done short rows before. Did you use short rows for your neckline?

    Also, I am considering making the 32" although my bust is 34". I'm going to use Karabella Margrite but I had to use size 7s for a flat gauge of 20 sts/4 inches. In the end, what size did your sweater come out to be, and how far was it from your actual bust size?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete