Friday, January 30, 2009

Moebius

I've always wanted to learn how to use Cat Bordhi's Moebius Cast On (MCO). I recently completed a course with Sivia Harding at Urban Yarns to see just how mysterious it is. And it's the coolest technique ever! I cast on for a simple neckscarf using the MCO and enjoyed myself thoroughly watching the knit fabric grow from the middle out, and with only one edge, one surface. It's fascinating and mind-boggling (to me)! This neckscarf I made using a pattern from Sivia with Misti Alpaca's Hand Dyed Worsted, a wee treat for myself from String of Purls in Omaha.



I wanted to make a second project during class time so I could take advantage of Sivia's encouraging instruction, but was reluctant to buy new yarn when I have so many leftovers at home. I rummaged around and surfaced with partial skeins of Malabrigo worsted, Manos del Uruguay, Cascade 220 and Patons SWS, all very feltable yarns. Feeling virtuous using what I have, I showed my happy mix to Sivia to run it by her before casting on for Cat's Felted Moebius Basket. She explained the risk of possible uneven felting when using a combination of yarns (a basket may pucker). I wavered, but thought I would press on with my stash. After discussing it with Claire, I decided to compromise and use up the Cascade bit, but also buy one new skein of Cascade to complete the basket. Then, when I noted the pattern used Manos del Uruguay, I thew my all good intentions in the garbage. For heaven's sake, I'm taking a knitting class in the middle of a knitting shop, what am I supposed to do? I'm weak! I gave in readily enough and chose a bold, bright skein of Manos (eclipse). Pretty!



This project is fast enough, does not even use one skein. I cast on in class and kept on knitting when I got home, when I got up the next morning, after the kids went to school, and then was done by lunch. The handle cleverly is the single 180 degree (half) twist which defines it as a Moebius. I find this concept has unending intrigue, I can't wait to do more from Cat's book, A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting. I also love how forgiving the knitting can be when I know it's going to be felted - not having to weave ends neatly makes me feel pretty good.

Here we are unfelted, waiting patiently to be transformed.



And after!

Drying with a balloon to help it achieve its roundness. (Unfortunately my picture-taking skills don't show off the unique coolness of the handle's twist.)



And in its blocked glory, enjoying the goings-on of the neighbourhood from the window sill. Cute shape!





On the last post where I was modelling my purple sweater, you may have noticed the dining room table covered in cloth. Here it is on closer inspection. This is the beginning stage of my next quilt! I'm still working on colour placement, there will be lots more of this down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment