Monday, November 12, 2007

Sockfest


Finissio! Nice, hm? I'm still a little sensitive to the colour change from sock to sock, from the same skein and all, but I am reassured by anyone I show them to that that is the beauty of hand-dyed yarn, go with it! They are lovely, the colour was most pleasing to knit with all the way through. I knit these from the toe up using the Master Coriolis pattern (from this book) but added 2 extra stitches to the width of the band. I finished off with Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn bind-off (explained in the same book) which I really like for elasticity at the cuff. These will make a yummy gift down the road.

The photographer of the above socks showed off the ones he was wearing - these are also Fleece Artist Basic Merino in mineral. This was my first ever pair of socks I knit, and it's been a sock craze since.



Here's another pair from Cat Bordhi's book, the Tibetan Sock. This sock I knit in a class with Sivia Harding at Urban Yarns, using Koigu's Kersti yarn. It is modifed from the pattern: the original calls for casting off a few rows above the top of the heel so it's kind of like an ankle sock. Instead, I repeated the leg pattern until the skein was gone. The colours are so rich it's a shame not to use it all. It is quite thick, and knit up very fast on 3.75 mm needles! Seriously, I knit the second sock in two days, it was that quick. It washes up so well and is incredibly soft, I am looking to knit more in another stunning colourway.



I have lots more special sock yarn stash, not sure if I can whip up another pair before Christmas, but ya never know!

1 comment:

  1. Julia, I love that Kirk modeled socks for your blog! I can barely get Aidan to take pictures of me for mine! I really want to try that Koigu Kersti yarn...larger needles are really appealing to me right now! Nice work, they are all gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete