Monday, October 27, 2008

Quilted!

For about a year now, I have been wanting to finish a few quilting projects, but my yarn always seemed to get in the way of my fabric progress. Well, I have finally done it, yay me!

I present Maiko, a Cloth Shop design:



I am planning to have this quilt grace my bedroom wall, I am very excited about it! This was a kit supplied as a sixteen-block quilt, but I wanted the dimensions to be closer to a 12 block size in a 3x4 format (finished size about 50 x 60 inches). I had leftovers, of course, and could not let these beautiful fabrics go to waste, so I whipped up a four block size, too:



Some detail of stippling in the background of the stars:



Fits quite nicely in our living room!




And the next one up is Vintage Gatherings, from the same place:



It was a block-of-the-month project in 2006, which I had great fun in piecing and appliqueing over the course of nine months. Once I had the quilt top done, it sat for a long time before I felt inclined to continue. Our cool weather helped immensely! I got started, then couldn't stop (what's new). More detail of the stippling, my all-time favourite and effective quilting technique.



This section of the block needed a little extra something something. I took inspiration from nature:



Liking this!



The finished size is about 54 x 58 inches. You will have noticed I have not quilted the border yet, I am still thinking about design. I'm considering it finished, though, and eventually when it is hung as wall art, I will complete the quilting!


A few years ago I made a special quilt from reproduction fabrics of the early 1900s. There were enough leftovers from that to make a small 30" x 30" wall quilt - I chose the Snowball design, a vintage pattern.



I have just finished it, and it now hangs in our sewing room/office.



I am feeling pretty good about life right now...

1 comment: