Sunday, May 11, 2008

Can't. Stop. Making. Stuff.



Ta da! Cranked out another finished object. Still on the Blue Sky theme, I used two balls (150 yds ea) of Organic Cotton from my stash. I had bought it on sale, so this little shrug cost less than $15. Gotta like it! Free pattern from Kelly Maher, the Ribbed Lace Bolerois an easy knit and did not require any modifications on my part. There is one row where cables over 2 sts are made. I thought it would be a good opportunity to learn cabling without a cable needle since I have something else in mind where that would be very useful! I looked at lots of videos but found the tutorial on Knitty the best for me.



Here's my second pair of Maine Morning Mitts, free pattern here.  One skein of Noro Kureyon, I'm crazy about this yarn.    These will be for a Christmas present, check!


For my latest sock endeavour: I first saw this Duet Sock yarn here (see Dec 7 and 10/07) and have been *so* curious to try it. The source is A Swell Yarn Shop (see sidebar for link), in Renton WA. When I ordered it, they did not have the colourway I wanted (chocolate crunch) but I liked this, in Platinum Canyon. It's a DK weight, 7 sts to the inch on 3 mm bamboo needles. I liked it so much, I slept with the yarn on my bedside tablefor a week so I could wake up and look at it.

I used their pattern for a basic toe up sock with an afterthought heel, using the contrasting solid colour. Having made a bunch of toe-up socks, I was intrigued about trying the afterthought heel as an alternative to my standard reinforced heel.

Not my cup of tea. Not crazy about grafting the heel, nor the join with the instep.

I did make a change to the heel for fit purposes. My heel is on the narrow side, so I decreased every row (instead of every other) for the last 4 rounds of decreases. The fit is much more snug and looks way tidier! Not to mention would be more comfortable in a shoe, too.

With 52 sts, it knit up well with single row stripes. When I increased to 57 sts for the ribbing (k2p1), the colour striping changed a bit so it became swirling stripes. Kind of cool.

I do like the snazzy toe and heel contrast look, though, so it's worth the weaving in of the ends. Guess I'll start the mate!

1 comment:

  1. Once again, your speed astounds me! Nice mitts, is the Kureyon scratcy? I am so making that bolero!!!

    ReplyDelete