Friday, September 17, 2010

Blanket Border

After the seaming (this is the BACK of the seaming - looks fairly neat with ends woven in)



....we had to decide on the border. What to do? I asked around at work, I talked about it to anyone who would listen to me.... everyone graciously deferred to my judgement. Ack! Garter border? Garter border with eyelets? Applied I-Cord? Picot edging? Crocheted edging?

Back to ravelry and googling. I dithered and pondered and experimented.

Applied I-Cord was my final choice since it is very sturdy and gives a very nice clean finished look to garter edges. I HAD planned on picking up one-half stitch along each garter ridge (as in the tutorial linked below), but I found the picked up stitch was not sitting comfortably on the needle....I did not want to work my SSK with it like that, so I sat back, deflated a bit. I dwelled on it overnight before my eureka moment. At work we decided to have a violet border, so using this, I picked up sts all along one side. Then, working from the other end of the ball, began working a 4-stitch applied I-cord from where I started to pick up.



I don't a have a photo of how I started, but here's the link that got me going. It uses a provisional cast on.

Here's what I did when I turned the corner.



Then I used kitchener stitch to join it together.



One more final wash before it's ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment