Friday, August 21, 2009

Bulky knit on a hot day

Not sure why I tend to buy or knit something thick and chunky on the hottest day of the year. I remember, one sweltering August day years ago, wandering around an air conditioned Fabricland and leaving with metres of polar fleece, sweating profusely riding my bike home with my pannier full of thick Malden Mill.

I think I really like fall.

And who can pass up Rowan Purelife at 40% off?

So I found a fast knit project using seven balls (120 yards per) of bulky weight 100% British Sheep Breeds. I mostly love the fact it's wool from four different sheep, blended together, and undyed.



The pattern is SweaterBabe's Vine Lace Pattern Cardigan. I like lots of the elements in the design: wide collar, deep ribbed waist and of course the lace. I omitted the patch pockets and continued the vine lace down to the bottom instead.



I made a mistake fairly early on in the lace, in the upper right section, but oddly I didn't notice it until I was well into the ribbed waist. After dwelling on it for some time, I decided to embrace my humanity (I'm trying to take comfort in that) and plough on. I think if I place a cool pin, or a felted flower there, that will totally distract me from my error.



The pattern itself is fairly easy to follow,

I used vintage buttons I inherited from my aunt's old button collection. Three buttons were on a card (Eaton's) for 10 cents. Now I am ready for fall, on a 29 degree summer day.



No comments:

Post a Comment