Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tiled nine-patch block

Lots of you know I've been going on and on about my idea of brightening up my front porch. Since we moved in almost nine years ago, I've always felt the porch needed a little something to look more welcoming. As soon as you walk up the steps, one looks at a blank wall. This was improved a few years ago with a lovely handmade mailbox by Fred and Ethel (sorry, can't find link), purchased at the Bowen Island Craft Fair. We also changed the walkway from orange brick to country stones and tile to blend in a little more with the house. Still, the wall was mostly bare and was calling for attention.

I wanted some kind of outdoor art. I looked around at garden stores and admired much, but nothing was ever quite right. I wondered if I could make something, but I didn't know what. Out and about one day, I saw some tiles set in a pattern that reminded me of a quilt block. Keeping things as simple as possible, I thought I could set tiles in the humble nine-patch design. At Bullnose Tile and Stone, I found what I wanted: handcrafted tiles in beautiful earthy colours by Seneca. I thought a wood frame built around the tiles would make a great finish, like a border of a quilt.

I enlisted Joe's help when I got the tiles. I set them on moisture-proof gyproc using silicone, and tile spacers. Doug helped me trim the edges, then yours truly got to try her hand at grouting. A new experience for me, one I'm not so keen on trying again too soon! Anyway, I did it, then Joe and I worked on a couple of design ideas for the frame. I was happy when I got to hand it all over to him and sit back while he did his woodworking thing....

...and he did it in a big way. Gorgeous!



Looks great with the mailbox and new door paint:



Nice details in yellow and red cedar, with a splash of door paint in the middle border (all Joe's idea)





Each time I open the door or walk up to it, it reminds me a quilter lives here! I love my new artwork, and I love the way it enhances the entry to my home.

1 comment: