Friday, April 11, 2008

Fitted Tank, round 2

Presenting...the re-knit Fitted Tank!


This yarn used has been knit up once (same project), washed as a garment, hibernated for a year or so, frogged, then re-knit, this time according to gauge. Ahhh, experience, it's a wonderful thing. While knitting this project I read many posts about it on Ravelry - so helpful! They confirmed the trouble I had the first time with the neckline - it was quite wonky indeed. So this time, I re-wrote the neckline instructions and re-knit it as follows. Note I knit size small on 4.5 mm needles to get gauge..

Shape neck (for both front and back) :
k16 sts, put remaining sts on holder. Next row: purl.
Next row: k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. Next row: purl. Repeat last 2 rows two more times (13 sts). Continue until piece is 20.5" from beginning. Keep centre 22 sts on holder, and transfer remaining sts to needle (16). Join new ball and knit to end. Next row: purl.
Next row: k1, ssk, k to end. Next row: purl. Repeat last 2 rows two more times (13 sts). Continue until piece is 20.5 " from beginning.

Finishing
Using 4 mm circular needle, start at left shoulder seam, pick up and knit 18 sts down left front, knit across centre front 22 sts, pick up and knit 18 sts up right front, 11 sts down right back, knit across centre back 22 sts, pick up and knit 11 up left back. Cast off loosely purlwise.
Using 4 mm circular needle, pick up and knit 70 sts around each armhole, then cast off loosely purlwise.


I'm much happier with it this time around. If I had had more yarn I definitely would have added about 2 inches to the length. As it turns out I squeaked this out with probably less than 10 yards short of 3 skeins. Done!

2 comments:

  1. You are so fast! Looks gorgeous! I can't wait to see it modeled!

    PS Marilyn and I had a KAL at work today! It was fun...I kept thinking that you should be there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing.. my original neck shaping was a disaster.. I have unravelled and am starting again.. a smaller gauge for the ribbing.. and your pattern for the edging. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete