Monday, April 7, 2008

on a Blue Sky roll



A couple of years ago I knit this tank in Blue Sky Alpacas dyed cotton. I loved the picture on the pattern (I think I imagined I would be painting, just like the model, wearing my new tank), I was crazy for the colourway Flamingo, and I was into the softness of the yarn. So I knit it up very fast without paying too much attention to anything important, the gauge, for example. My project turned out to be very big, very unflattering, and very disappointing. It languished in my closet, and every couple of months I would try it on, hopeful I would change my mind, or it would change its shape, but it always looked pretty bad. Last year I frogged it finally to at least salvage the yarn, and since then it's been hibernating in a ziploc bag.

Now it's Spring (at least on the calendar) and time for new beginnings, re-birth, renewal and the like. So after using all that dyed cotton for Tomato, I thought I would keep a good thing going and carry on with this yarn. I'm making the Fitted Tank again, this time using the right size needles (4.5 mm) to get gauge (18 sts over 10 cm). I am sure I used 5.5 mm the first time around as suggested in the pattern, but at that point in my knitting career I was completely unconcerned with gauge and fit. Live and learn :0), this little tankie is cruising along and and looking much more promising this time! I'm almost done!

1 comment: