Friday, January 27, 2012

Canvas art

It started with a new couch in a rich dark brown microfibre!
I thought a nice purply grey would be a lovely wall colour to go with it...but my choice turned out a bit blue instead. Still intending to paint it over grey, I moved on to wall art, and picked up three blank art canvasses.



In keeping with my screen printed theme I have going on right now, I decided to remove the canvasses from the frames and have Smoking Lily print them! It would be a fun, personal and creative project for me (and daughter), and lighten up the wall considerably. First, I had to pull out the staples on the back. I found a potato peeler worked brilliantly, it took less than 10 minutes to remove the staples from one frame.



I gently pressed the gessoed canvasses and headed over to Smoking Lily to make my design and colour choices. That process was nothing short of good times, thanks to Glenda and Erin! The following week they were ready for pick up, here's what I got:





I was delighted with how they turned out, and set about stapling them back onto the frames. As you can see, the folds were still present in the canvas so I just followed them to re-fold the corners which was very helpful.
Then to figure out how to hang them? I was not crazy about putting holes into my new freshly painted grey (over blue) wall.
I was, however, okay with using adhesive! That is, 3M Command Velcro Picture Hanging Strips for damage-free hanging.
I used two per side, adhered directly to the frame...



...then stuck them on the wall! With pencil, measuring tape and level, Miss M and I got these up, straight and positioned, and are feeling extremely proud of our project.
We love it!

2 comments:

  1. Just love how this turned out! You should be so proud! Can't wait to see the new blinds. L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice nature touch enlightening the dark couch, a success! lg

    ReplyDelete