Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Shawl Happy

I was trolling about the house looking for something to knit, with what I had in my stash. I LOVE getting rid of stuff, I think it's one of my favourite things to do! So knitting with leftovers makes me feel pretty good, not to mention light (can you tell I like that feeling).



Cheryl Oberle's book Folk Shawls is one of my well-used references, and long ago I had earmarked her Feather and Fan Triangle Shawl as a potential project for my scrap yarns.



I gave it a go, and I think it was a good idea! I used my odds and sods of creams, greys and browns in worsted and aran weights, and worked up the garter portion quickly on 5.5 mm needles. I actually ran out. I had to buy more yarn *sigh* to finish the feather and fan lace. I followed the pattern generally, doing the additional increase rows near the top for shoulder shaping, but omitting the eyelet rows since the colour changes were enough for me to handle :o)



I stopped knitting when it got too heavy and there was no more room on my circular needles - the finished blocked dimensions of this baby: 100 inches wingspan, 33 inches deep. A sturdy shawl mostly made of merino, silk, and alpaca, perfect for watching hockey!



And as if that was not enough of a break before going back to socks....



I have eyeing this one for a long time, from ravelry, orlane's textured shawl recipe.



This is a pretty and simple pattern using your basic top-down triangular shawl design, increasing on right side rows and purling across wrong side rows, and 2 st garter edging. I used m1R and m1L increases the whole way down until I got to the garter border where I kfb because I like the look of this in garter (virtually invisible).



As for the yarn, it was rather an impulse purchase at the ferry terminal in Nanaimo. A 100 g ball of natural, handspun alpaca from a local farm was irresistible, I had to have it. I was very surprised at the non-itch factor of the knitted fabric, even beside my face it's ve-ry soft, love it. I ordered another two 100 g balls, just to have around the house (this balances out my previous project...:D)



This beauty drapes wonderfully, as modelled by my work pal. I added another repeat of the original size, which I'm glad I did since I had the yarn, all the more to enjoy! And need I mention the warmth factor, there's a lot of that packed into the lightness of alpaca fibre. After blocking, this shawl measures 70 inches wide and 28 inches deep. I used almost 200 g (I am estimating less than 600 yards of dk/light worsted weight).





This shawl pin is working for me, too.



And here we are looking longingly outside, waiting for the rain to stop.



2 comments:

  1. Your shawls are beautiful, Julia, not to mention the photography and the garden! I just love to look at it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and inspiring. I'm going to knit up the textured shawl and will be using your tips for the increases. And why not support our local businesses. If you're interested I can get you some roving from alpacas living in natural splendour on Thormanby Island.

    ReplyDelete